Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cashmere and Arctic Circle


Last night Dallin took me out on a date to Arctic Circle wearing a cashmere sweater. As we talked and laughed about how our pumpkin pie shake tasted exactly like a candle and how no matter how hard we tried to enjoy it we couldn't stop imagining that our ice cream was wax, I decided that it pretty much sums up our marriage....cashmere and Arctic Circle. I have known Dallin now for nearly 7 years. Last night was the first date ever that Dallin didn't put gel in his hair and that I didn't wear make-up. In fact, my hair was soaking wet in a bun. And that would seem appropriate for a date to Arctic Circle...but then there was that cashmere sweater. You see, Dal came upstairs last night wearing that sweater and announced that we were going out. I was hesitant because little Molly (just turned 8 weeks old!!) would want to eat soon, and let's be honest with ourselves, taking a baby "out" can be a lot of work and planning. Well at least a lot of planning for someone like me. I can be pretty over organized sometimes. I started asking a whole bunch of questions like where he wanted to go, how long, and if it was even worth it. Dal just shrugged and told me to hurry and get dressed up "nice" and said that it didn't really matter where we were going as long as we were together. Call it cliche, but I thought it was cute. And I was having one of those days that all moms with little babies understand where they really do need to just leave the house. So I pulled off the sweats at 5pm and put on actual clothes. I even donned some jewelry. We loaded sleeping Molly into the car and headed off to Arctic Circle with coupons we got in the mail. The entire way there we talked excitedly about the pumpkin shake we were going to share from our $1 off coupon, and made the hard decision to go inside with Molly instead of drive thru. We figured she would stay asleep as long as we rocked her carrier...at least we prayed she would. It was at that table, one hand on Molly's carrier and the other holding my cheeseburger, across the table from a man that I've loved since before I even really knew what love was, that I realized I have never been happier. It was one of my favorite dates we have been on (and we have done some pretty special dates) because it kind of just reminded me why I love Dal so much. He makes the day to day normal things in life special. Like wearing cashmere in Arctic Circle. Who ever thought you could make a fast food restaurant feel so elegant? He did it for me and I love him for it. This little outing last night inspired me to FINALLY start a blog. Why? Because I don't want to forget these small and simple things that bring my heart happiness and that remind me that life is not about what we are doing or where we are doing it, but its about time together with those we love. I am excited to write about my little family and hopefully you out there will enjoy hearing about our adventures. Molly did sleep through our entire date and though the shake tasted like the candle in our kitchen, the floor was sticky, and there were loud kids running around the tables, I couldn't help but love every second sitting there at the corner table of Arctic Circle rocking my sweet daughter to sleep and laughing and talking with my adorable husband overdressed in a cashmere sweater.

11 comments:

  1. I loved that so much mallory. You are a great writer. Im excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute Mallory! Abby is right! You are a great writer! I love your blog and would love to follow along. Feel free to check out my blog too. I look forward to reading more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i picture dallin in a cashmere sweater, i for some reason picture him turning around and showing you him bum as well. taylor pictures him with a cat in his lap like that awkward family photo picture. anywho....you guys are adorable and i heart you. a lot!!!!!!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute ;). I am excited to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love it mal! Welcome to the blogging! Do you mind if I add you to my blog wall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love Arctic circle. Adam and I used to get shakes there all the time. I'm glad your blogging! You are so great! Miss you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mal, daddy said that you are a hopless romantic like me. I think that you and dal are sweet and yes you do remind me of myslef. After 37 years of marriage, I am still a hopless romantic!! It is the best way to be and being able to find the romance in everything is actually fun. I love the Pictures of little Molly. Momma Wahlstrom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea! Finally, you are starting a blog! So excited to read your adventures. I love arctic circle shakes! Did you enjoy that vanilla wafer? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adorable little family. Thanks for th window into your life. Loved your entry. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mal!!! I love you soooo much!!! I can't wait to read and see more pics!!!! I love that Dal was sporting a Mr. Rogers outfit!! Giggle giggle giggle!
    LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AH MAL!! I'm SO happy you commented on our blog so I could find yours! I LOVE it! now I can keep more updated with you! I love you SOO much! Hope all is well!!

    ReplyDelete